29 October 2012

Maligayang Pasko.

Hello.

Pilar is splitting! This is the first time to have 2 sets of
missionaries in over 15 years. And by next January or February, plans
will hopefully be a bit more definite for building a new chapel here
in Pilar. My journey in Pilar will continue for at least another 6
weeks, and hopefully more.

Before I left on my mission, I hoped that I would be placed in many
areas so that I could meet more people, see new things, but now I am
incredibly grateful that I have an opportunity to work in this area
for a longer period of time. I spent 7.5 months in Lubao, which was an
incredibly rewarding and fruitful experience as we also split Lubao
into 2 areas. (Actually, Lubao had been split before, and we were
reopening the split.)

I've realized that for me, it's easier to go out and work every day,
in an area that I have worked in for a longer period of time. It's not
a burden to go out and work. It's more of a 'I really love these
people, and want to help them. I'm excited to hear and see these
miraculous changes that have/are taking place."

Rose Ann was baptized on Sunday. She is one of those 15 grandchildren.
I loved what she said after she was baptized, 'Masarap siya.' (it was
a delicious-feeling.) I can't express to you all how incredible it is
to see these kids taking on and grasping the things that we are
teaching them. Several members have mentioned to us that the kids look
cleaner and they look happier than they did before. Jezebel, who is 11
years old, was recently baptized and is now in 2 Nephi in the Book of
Mormon. She told us that the Book of Mormon is 'delicious to read.'
(YUM.) I remember when we first went to their home and Jezebel didn't
join in on our discussion, but would just observe. She slowly started
to listen and now I'm amazed as she is really taking off and embracing
these things. Our responsibility has now shifted to help these kids
continue in their journey of growth. Baptism should only be a starting
step for them for a life time of fulfillment and growth.

I think back of the times before my mission, in a state of need and
humility, when I truly called upon my God for divine assistance. I
think of how selfish that is-that my most sincere prayers were when I
was in need, but at the same time, I was given the opportunity to
exercise faith, which i'm grateful for. Faith dies quickly, I've
noticed when it is not strengthened.

Humility is something that has been pressing on my mind lately. I love
the talk "Pride and the Priesthood" by Dieter F. Uchtdorf, and while I
do not hold the Priesthood, there are many applicable principles. It's
an uncomfortable feeling to say to myself that I am prideful. Nobody
wants to admit that they are prideful. Of course we all would like to
think of ourselves as a certain way, and to admit to ourselves that we
are prideful is a real ______ to our self perception. Maybe it is a
start for better understanding our relationship with God and with our
fellow brothers and sisters. Yes. maybe.

hasta luego.

Picture- pamintol (sp?) fishing. This is somehow effective in catching
fish. Instead of a hook at the other end of this fishing pole, there
is a large basket-like structure that is laid in the water, and when
lifting it up, it is supposed to catch fish. I was unsuccessful but
Sandy (the man who thinks he's not in the picture, is good at this.)