25 October 2012

"Mahal mo ba ako?"

Hello.

We were blessed with two baptisms this past weekend. (This program was
easily the most eventful baptism I have ever attended and will
probably ever attend. Our district president who attended also said
the same thing for himself. Maybe I'll tell the story when I get home,
but it was incredibly unique.) These little girls are cousins and are
only 2 of 15 grandchildren in one home. I've mentioned this family
before because it is complete chaos whenever we teach them. This
family is notorious for causing speechlessness, for first timers.
Sometimes, members will work with us as we teach and every single
first-timer to their home (including myself) was speechless or silent
during the lesson. There's babies crying, kids screaming and fighting,
hair laden with knits, and unique smells. Sometimes it feels like a
circus when we teach. I'm keeping kids out of my bag, getting small
children off of me and at the same time trying to keep the focus of
the kid we're teaching. I love this family. They're incredibly poor
but I've already noticed small improvements in the quality of their
life because of the gospel.

Pilar is progressing and it is so exciting to see. We had an interview
with our mission president last week and he said that we have a 50/50
chance of gaining another set of missionaries here in Pilar. If that
happens, Sister Lacanaria and I will split and we will each get new
companions, each set covering half of the Pilar area. This is very
very exciting and will be the first time ever to get an extra set of
missionaries in this area. Our area is being monitored to receive a
new and larger chapel, so we will hopefully find out in the next few
months if that is going to be approved for this area. It's an
incredibly sweet feeling to have worked so hard and then to see the
results of that labor.

The mission president's wife took pity on me when I should her my skin
issues and so I visited a doctor earlier today so hopefully my boil
and other skin problems will start to clear up. I was told by a member
that sometimes 'when the blood is dirty, it screams out through the
skin.' I wasn't sure what to think when I heard that.

I forgot to mention general conference last week, but conference
progressively gets more delicious to me and 10 hours of conference
somehow doesn't seem enough.

Jeffrey Holland continues to amaze me. His sincerity is unmatched.

"Lovest thou me?" -Peter was asked this three times. I was surprised
at how timely this particular talk was in my own life.

Explore and Expand and Love. The transcendent power of love is so
tangible. It is not easy nor cheap. It is really the 'greatest of
all.'

Moroni 7:45-47

Your daughter, sister, niece, and friend,



Sister DV

april2013:/






The last picture is of some sort of plantish organism that was
gathered from the ocean. I thought it looked like a terrible and sad
pile of dead Whos from Dr. Seuss. But don't worry, it's just plants.