03 August 2012

Daphnee

FAMILY/FRIENDS/STRANGERS:

These past two weeks have been extremely weird and interesting and beautiful.

We had a baptism on Saturday- Daphnee. She has been an investigator
for over a year. She would've been baptized but her mom would not sign
the form. She's active in all of the youth programs, but was still not
baptized. Two weeks ago, we gave her a date to be baptized (July 28)
without really knowing ourselves how it was going to work with having
to get her mom's signature. Two Sundays ago, we announced in church
that there would be a baptism the following Saturday. We still didn't
have the signature and still didn't know how it was going to work out.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a 16 year old so determined to find a
way to do something. Daphnee by nature is very very quiet, and very
shy. It was a bit of a change to see her so determined for this.

Sister Pamogas and I fasted, believing that there would be a way, but
not knowing how. Last Monday, we went to Daphnee's home and we were
able to talk with her mom. (We practiced the whole conversation
several times before we went over. We planned that I would be the one
to ask, because we believed she would be more receptive to a
foreigner. ha.) After a very nervous couple of minutes, she signed the
form. After she left, we cheered as quietly as possible, which wasn't
really quiet at all for Sister Pamogas.. haha. After many months of
wanting to be baptized, she was baptized last Saturday. Wow. : )

2 Sundays ago, we talked about 'modesty in appearance' in Relief
Society class at church. The lesson quickly turned into a chaotic mess
of these filipino women giving demonstrations on what isn't modest and
loudly discussing about how little clothing young girls wear these
days. I felt like I was watching a movie as these women stood up and
pulled up their skirts ( and various other surprising
demonstrations...) on what isn't 'modest.' haha.

Yesterday at church, our Branch President was teaching Sunday school.
He asked the questions, "What are some problems in the home?" Someone
responded and said, "Pride." His response was , "Pride chicken?" I
may have been one of 3 people that laughed out of the entire group.

Filipinos love love fried chicken, which is so amusing to me. Fried
chicken is not considered to be 'American'- It's filipino.

Last Tuesday, we had a companionship exchange. I went to Cabcaben,
Bataan. Our day was a mixture of hiking in the mountains and ended
with teaching a family who lived on the ocean. A great peace came over
me as I saw the ocean. I could see Corregidor Island in Manila bay. I
also saw a sunken ship, not too far off from the shore, that sunk only
a few months ago. The shore was full of fishing boats and of course,
kids that inevitably gathered around us, making it extremely unwise to
take out my camera. But it was beautiful.

I'm grateful for the tangible effect that this work has on me. I
often, if not several times a week feel frustrated/discouraged, but I
am filled with a joy, a love, and a patience beyond my own. I usually
end my day with a feeling of gratitude for this divine gift that
inspires and motivates me to continue working.

I finished the Book of Mormon for the first time on my mission. (I
took my time as I read.) As I finished Moroni 10, a distinct peace
filled me. Distinct peace.

-Sister Vickers

2 Ne 31: 3
Moroni 7