27 February 2012

David and Goliath

Last week was exhausting, and I'm not feeling 100% so I'll probably keep this short. OH. No transfers. Sister T and I get another 6 weeks to learn from each other, here in Lubao. :)
Sister T and I had an interesting experience as a companionship. We are learning more about each other and have identified a few things that are keeping our companionship in Unity. After a tear-filled conversation, I am very excited to learn how to recreate our companionship.

Interesting breakthrough---We've been meeting with Brother Razon, every day for the past 5 or 6 weeks. (Razon = Reason, in Spanish, which fits him very well actually) Brother Razon is a long time less active member- over 10 years, I think. He had a lot of high callings and loved the church. He became less-active due to him being offended at something someone said. (This is actually an interesting problem here in the Philippines. People get offended at the smallest/weirdest things. I think it's also a part of their culture- people are super super sensitive and are often 'round-about' in their speech to not offend other people. Sometimes, it's annoying/hard for me to have to be super indirect with people for fear that they will get offended.) We decided that we wanted to get a bit more personal with him and get to know HIM better instead of him just wanting to discuss scriptures. We had a very very interesting lesson in which, I think, we had a breakthrough with Brother Razon. Sister T asked him a few personal questions and he kept ignoring them. She kept asking him probably 5 or 6 times, and finally-somehow we got through. He actually cried, and shared a couple of beautiful experiences with prayer. It was the first time that he shared anything personal with us. He talked about how he wants to come back, and  to be in the branch again. I was a little shocked at the whole experience. I felt like we trying to teach Goliath, and then we found out that he had a heart, had feelings, despite him having a hard, hard exterior. I felt humbled to be able to share that experience with him.

I feel like I'm always relearning the concept of faith.

I feel like I could say more, but I'll keep it short.

Inggat.

PS.- Alma 15: 17 --self awareness--