20 February 2012

Kaya mo iyan!




I feel like I just emailed. Weeks are starting to fly fly flllllllyyyy. By the end of next transfer, I will only have 12 months left of my mission. mabalis na mabalis.

This first picture attached is of something I found at the mission home this past week. I would like to echo her sentiments about her experience with sacrifice. Although I will probably never experience a fraction of her trials, I am realizing that there is an undeniable connection between sacrifice and obtaining or absorbing spiritual knowledge, knowledge of God. "The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay." I feel that exact same way, with my mission. It is difficult to be a missionary but it is so beautiful it in the sense that I am understanding things about the atonement, and things about the priesthood that I haven't really been able to understand until now. (Alma 12 & 13) I understand better what "even by study and also by faith" means in D&C 88:118

On Wednesday, we were in Santiago visiting a recent convert there and her father in law was there and wanted to join in on our lesson. He is afflicted with brain cancer as well as throat cancer. A tumor has been growing on his neck because of it. Needless to say, he is in an incredible amount of pain 
 I had a difficult time understanding him as his speech was very mumbled. He talked about his experience with his sickness and I was humbled by his faith that God would heal him, and if God would heal him, that he would re-prioritize things in his life.

Tears came to my eyes during the lesson and even right now as I'm writing about him. I can't really explain or express my desire to give him relief-to make him better. I cried on our tricycle ride home and a few things regarding the atonement permeated my thoughts. I would not have been able to learn more regarding the atonement or have this experience if it wasn't for this sacrifice of serving a mission-serving God. 

Another picture is of Sister T and I with her trainer. Another picture is of us at a recent convert's house for a birthday party of her grand-daughter. Her husband makes and sells ice cream on his bike for a living. (I think you can see some canisters in the background?) Filipinos call homemade ice cream 'dirty ice-cream' and I think it's delicious. 
  
On Tuesday, we taught a woman named, "Erly." She told us in English, "It's like "Early' in the morning!" She is old and very cute.

We have 2 new investigators in 'Saug.' We haven't really explored that area, but we were able to explore it a bit on Tuesday. I decided that I wanted to retire there and find a home inbetween some rice fields...

We had a Sister's Conference on Thursday/Friday at the mission home. It was very good and also very 'cheesy' as Sister T calls it. : )

Transfers are on Tuesday, which means that I'll most likely have a new companion and will probably have to lead the area here in Lubao, which will be an exciting challenge for me. BUT, I'll find out for sure on Tuesday. I feel like I'm just starting to get familiar with this area, and I really would love to stay.

We taught a family, who's home was built on stilts (I think?) above a swampy pond area. The wood floor was literally sagging and we could see through to the ground. I've never been afraid of falling through someone's house until then...Sister T and I were a little hesitant to walk in their home as we are not small people. 

A woman in the ward (We just call her 'Nanay Tala") , during a lesson with her, gave us each a 10 peso coin as a gift and reminded us that 10 or 1 and 0 (1+0) is still 1. The coin has 2 faces on it and she reminded us that as a companionship, we are together - we are one, despite being two of us. I thought it was a beautiful reminder of the importance of Unity. It reminded me of Amos 3:3.

I am happy and well and am starting to become a Filipino (minus their habits on eating rice...) 

ingat kayo.