06 February 2012

Magaganda

Kamusta kamusta,

Sometimes I feel like my time here can't get any more bizarre, and then somehow it does. 

We met a ton of new people this week-people off the street and a lot of referrals as well. The baptismal service we had this week was beautiful and I was so happy to be a part of it. I hear stories of missionaries that help people change their lives. Sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing any good, and then sometimes I feel like the tiny part that I am doing is actually helping someone and it is beautiful to see. 
 
On Thursday, while we were trying to buy fresh buko juice (only 5 pesos, P.S.) we had an older man come up and buy it for us. He started talking English with us and we thought the whole thing was kind of funny actually. Then, he asked if we wanted to visit him and teach his wife. We took him up on his offer and went to his home. We met his wife and they fed us pakwan (watermelon). They used to live in America and it became apparent that they weren't really interested in our message but that he wanted to talk with us because we are American. They were both very very friendly though. His name is Conrad. He told us in English, "You can call me Daddy Conrad! I"ll be your dad in the Philippines! Mama Luce can be your mom!"  Pretty comical experience. :)

Humility is a difficult principle to understand as well. I have never had so many humbling experiences. It is very uncomfortable and also very necessary to be humbled. I'm seeing the link between faith and humility and learning.

I've never realized how much language is a part of someone's personality. There are ideas that are expressed in English, that cannot be expressed in Tagalog, and vice versa. (You would enjoy this, Katja:) ) I think that is a very bizarre and yet beautiful thing. Language affects culture which affects language. 

I'm trying to get to a point where I feel like I can adequately express myself in Tagalog and get to a point of feeling somewhat normal with the language. Even in Spanish, I felt like it was much easier to express my thoughts.

I enjoy teaching and all of the many terrifying things that are involved. Sometimes there are those moments where people look up at you and there is a profound connection made. 


God is very alive, in chaos and in peace. 





P.S.Katja- Love your letter. I sent a big one your way about 2 weeks ago. Fish with flies. Done and done.