21 January 2013

Oh to Grace.

Helllllloooooo,

My mission is really never boring. It seems like there's never a
shortage of interesting experiences. Last Monday we had a creepy man
following us at the market. We walked into a store to avoid him but he
quickly followed us into the store, even though I was hiding behind
some merchandise. We ran out of the store and after we noticed he was
still following us, we ran into the thrift store next door. We ran all
the way to the back of the store and was startled to see an old man
sleeping on the floor, as well as a dog with a striped t-shirt. We had
to muffle our surprise/laughter so that he wouldn't wake up. We were
running from an intruding man, but we ended being the intruders on
someone else... haha.

Things just get better and better with our interesting investigator,
Alberto. Last week, he gave me an envelope after we had visited him,
and once we were far away from his house, we ripped open the envelope
and immediately starting reading his letter to me. In this letter, he
told me that he was in love and expressed various other sentiments. I
was really just shocked and weirded out a bit. I had no other reaction
except to laugh, which we did for a while. :)

Sister Ticzon taught me how to extract coconut milk from an actual
coconut. We made curry and it was yummyyum. If you want to learn too,
I'll teach you:)

We had a companionship exchange and for a day I went to Lubao, my
first area:) It was such a rewarding experience to see the progress in
the area. I was overwhelmed to see the changes and the improvements in
the area. YES.

I was mistaken in believing that I could only be so tired. It's a kind
of tiredness that I feel in my eyes and my bones. I'm not complaining,
but amazed that God has given me the opportunity to experience this,
combined with the sweet joy that I feel as I work, and as I see
miracles happening.

We were able to experience such an intimate lesson with Brother Garcia
(I mentioned him last week), last Saturday night. It was the first
time that I actually saw him cry. He expressed guilt for some things
that have happened, as well as his fears. He expressed his
estrangement with God as well as his desire to change, to repent and
to come closer to God. It was such a choice experience, and those
kinds of experiences are the reason why I can say truthfully that
despite being absurdly tired, I love love this work. At different
times during the lesson, all three of us cried, and it was a beautiful
moment of realization for Brother Garcia, as well as for me. It was a
perfect example of being unified as a companionship as well as having
the lesson moved and progressed by a divine source. That is real.
Alma 5:45-46

byebye. until next week,

Sister Vickers

Termite luv:)



Pictures: 'Daing' on a clothesline- dried fish. I was trying to figure
out what they were drying and realized that it was only fish. NBD.