12 November 2012

BAM.

I'm really enjoying the work here in Pilar. We are looking/finding new
investigators and are also seraching for less-active members in our
area. It's been an incredible week full of interesting situations and
many successes. My companion is such a great person to work with. She
is hardworking and a very spiritually sensitive person, which is so
refreshing to me. I wrote on the side of my planner for Nov. 6, "I'm
excited to see where God will lead us today."

I'm grateful for situations that continue to try and test us being
'human.' We had an interesting situation on Nov. 8 where we were
ordering food at a street food vendor. We noticed a little girl that
kept following us and eventually she asked me for money. I ignored her
question and asked her where she was from and where her parents were.
She didn't look very poor, but she told me that she was hungry. I
asked Nico, the member that worked with us that day if he could give
her an extra burger that he bought. He gave it to her and she ran off
with it.

It was a fairly quick event, but the conversation that came because of
it, was the really interesting part. Nico mentioned that he doesn't
like giving money or food to kids because it'll just perpetuate them
begging on the streets. It'll also perpetuate a lack of responsibility
on the part of the parent. In the same thought, he mentioned something
that Jesus said, about giving to those to asketh, giving to those in
need, without judgement for whether they are 'really poor' or not.

Maybe it tugs at our pride to think that maybe the food that we gave
to a beggar on the street actually went to someone who didn't actually
need it and is maybe just manipulating a situation to be given food.
But, maybe not. We'll never know.

I'm home in April, which is so weird to me. It is the fastest year of
my entire life. Christmas is next month??
See you all very very soon. Keep learning and expanding.

Until then,
Sister Vickers