09 January 2012

Love it so Munch

That was on a package of cashews that I bought. I loved them so munch.

This week I was able to buy very yummy fruits that I've never tried, from when we went to Olongapo last week--guayabano, mangosteen, and rambutan. (sp?) 

I realized that Filipinos are very creative. I've seen really impressive ways of building things/ using materials. Earlier this week, I saw a man that hung a hammock from beneath a giant, parked semi truck. Just hanging out. 

I had an interesting experience last week. When we get near one of our areas, 'Control,' there are a lot of beggars there. We cannot use the money we get monthly from the mission to give to beggars, so we always just say, 'Wala.' (We don't have any.) This is a fairly normal occurance for us, especially because I am white, and the kids will run to me asking for money. 
Anyways, last week, one of the little girls starting screaming at me after I said, "Wala," and then pretended to kick me. (I wanted to cry!) Two seconds later, miraculously, the other set of missionaries in our area pulled up next to us in a tricycle and so the little kids left me and ran to them. One of the missionaries smiled at them and energetically shook their hands, as if they were pretending to give her a handshake. She told them that we have a rule that we cannot give money, but that she had a gift for them instead. She gave them candy and after they ran off, I asked her how she normally deals  with the beggars. 

I couldn't stop thinking about those children and how she had interacted with them. It wasn't  a special occurance, but for a few days, I could not stop thinking about how she did not let her attention or love end with the lowest of people. I realized that I needed to not let my love end with those people, to not ignore them anymore.  I decided to make little folded up pieces of paper with nice things written on them, to give to beggars when they come up to me. I won't give them money, but I can give them my love instead. 

I've also started a new thing to help remind people to read the scriptures. Many investigators will say that they forgot to read. Once they tell us this, I take an index card out of my bag and make a drawing for them and then write, "Magbasa." They can put it on their wall or their mirror to help remind them! I'm hoping that it will communicate to them how much I love the scriptures, other than just telling them that I love the scriptures.

I need to go, but thank you for your love and support.