23 January 2012

Bahay namin

I love the sense of community that is here in the Philippines. Nobody ever refers to their home as 'my home' but 'our home' (bahay namin)  Back home, I always loved the idea of doing more things as a group, of learning how to collaborate, work together, etc. I realized here, that my independent sense of self (my culture) was getting in the way of learning how to be more cohesive with other people. If we are in a group setting and someone has food, it is a guarantee that they will offer their food to everyone. I'm getting used to doing that now, to not be so -- "This is mine. This is yours." Last week we had an activity as a zone. We had a short hike and ate lunch at a member's home. They decided to not use plates or silverware for our meal. (They had plates, but decided to not use them.)
 We ate on huge, huge leaves that we put our food on and ate with our hands. :)

I loved Tian's email-about food, about being hungry, about eating, about digesting. Food is essential in any social situation here. They use food all the time, to bring people together, to show thanks, to serve, etc. I love that. I loved that idea back home, but hadn't really seen it applied so much as I have here. The spiritual application of food is so beautiful as well. Our physical hunger always reminds us that we are in need. Spiritually as well, we are always in need, but sometimes we don't recognize that. 

John 7: 37 -38 - "If any man thirst, let me come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."

John 6:35 - "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."

Yesterday at the start of one of our lessons to a huge family, Sister T leaned over and whispered, "Start ka." (You start.) (We hadn't met this family before because they had come from the other area in Lubao that we are now working in.) I was incredibly intimidated, especially because they were staring at me way more than anyone else. It's extremely uncommon to see a white person speaking their language. I couldn't help but smiling during the prayer at the beginning. I had a feeling of, "Okay, let's do it. I'll make a fool of myself speaking Tagalog, but they'll get a sense of what our message is, and what it brings. If this work is divine (and I do believe that it is) I will receive strength beyond my own, speaking abilities beyond my own, and a love beyond what I could ever offer them." 

The lesson went well and I believe we were communicating 'love.'  

During that same lesson, one of their little boys leaned over and tried to discreetly touch my leg. When I looked down at him, he just laughed. (Yes! I have white skin!)

I am uncomfortable with how often people will stop walking down the street just to stare at a white person. Even right now, there is a kid in the internet shop that has been staring at me for at least 5 minutes. I've been occasionally turning around to let him know that I see him staring... (The sense of privacy that is in America is almost nonexistent here... ha. Even at the doctor's office, their scale was out in the waiting room, for anyone to look at if you were being weighed.) 

Like I told Sister T the first week I was here, after we had been walking for a long time, "This is refinement."
We do a lot of walking. I look at hand washing my clothes as refinement as well. I am a bit more frugal with what I wear, especially since I have to wash it if I think it's dirty. ( Mom is probably laughing right now...) I miss washing machines, but It's been interesting to wash my own clothes like everyone else does here. 

Tian, to answer your question, we do teach from the Bible. I haven't shared as many biblical verses in my emails only because I'm currently focusing my personal study on the Book of Mormon. The Bible is full of rich stories, full of beautiful truths. When I have more time to study (probably after my mission) I hope to study the Bible in depth. 

 Just a quick share from my reading this week-- Mosiah 18:14 talks about baptism in comparison to the resurrection. Words like "buried" "arose" "came forth" "rejoicing" are used in that verse. It is a beautiful comparison as baptism signifies a new life, a new start. 

We have a baptism next week. Anita has been wonderful to get to know and she is excited for her baptism. 

I should go, but thank you for your support and love.