16 January 2012

I hope these are still exciting for you all

We had an unexpected baptism this week....
The other set of missionaries in our area were very unexpectedly transferred, so we had to pick up their huge area, and plan for a baptism they had, and learn a new area that we haven't really even begun to explore yet. I know this all sounds like missionary talk, and it is, but basically we have an absurd amount of things to do and were/will continue to be incredibly busy.
This past friday, we were able to do a service project at a member's house. They had such a gorgeous farm. They had chicken, geese, and sheep. They also grow peppers, mangos, ginger, watermelon, tomatos, and probably a lot of other things that they sell at the palengke. (John/Brittany and Ryan/Melissa would have loved this place.)
We have a new investigator too. He is the father of our branch president and is such a sassy old man. He told us, "Never in my life have I joined any church! There is only one church- The Church of God." We had an interesting lesson with him and he joked about having aircon in heaven. We enjoyed meeting with him and his wife, who is a member.
People continue to stare at me. Maybe it's not rude here... I smile back, despite wanting to just have a staring contest with people, like I would do in Ecuador. But since I am a missionary...
Missionary life is masarap. I am tired, most of the time. But there is an internal echoing of something that is just so delicious. It makes being tired feel completely worth it. I continue to gain a deeper appreciation of the scriptures. Just earlier this week, we read 1 Ne 1 with an investigator. I've read the first chapter of the Book of Mormon several times, but even during our lesson I was noticing interestingthings that I hadn't noticed before.
Sometimes I worry about not having time to think and process everything. Sometimes, at the end of a day, it feels like a dream. It almost doesn't feel real to see the kinds of places that people call 'home,' the kinds of houses they''ve made out of bamboo, and scrap metal. It is difficult to see it. It's one thing to hear about it, but it's another to see it in front of my eyes, to see the kids that aren't going to school because of money, etc. Despite all of that, most filipinos are actually very optimistic and find joy in small things and in God.
Anita,our investigator with a gambling problem is getting baptized in two weeks. Sister T and I are surprised at her willingness and desire to learn and progress.
Sister T and I continue to work well together. We laugh a lot together. It's interesting to spend so much time with someone that I probably wouldn't pick to be friends with. But, it's been a rewarding and a growing experience.
 Beautiful:
Mosiah 7:27---John 1:1,14
Mosiah 4:27
Mosiah 4:30
Mosiah 7:18
Sigue. TTYL. bye.
PS. I got mom's 2 packages and Dad's package and the package from Holland ward. THANKYOUALLSOMUCH.
Jesse M-- I was thinking about that conversation we had in Rock Canyon a few months ago. I was thinking about how you had described your feelings on your mission. ( I relate to that now, despite having set aside other concerns.)