17 December 2012

Magkanta Tamu

HELLO,

This week was full of excellent surprises and some surprises that
weren't really surprises. About 4 or 5 days before the transfer, I
kept thinking about Gua-Gua, Pampanga, and about maybe or hopefully
getting transferred there. 'Gua-Gua' would not leave my head during
my last week in Pilar. Anyways I found out that whatever I was
thinking/feeling was actually right and I got transferred to Gua-Gua,
Pampanga. It's more of a city, which I'm still adjusting to. I got
pretty used to more of the rural feel in Pilar, so Gua-Gua is a bit of
a change for me. Gua-Gua actually used to be an 'elders' area, and the
last sisters here in Gua-Gua were in 1986. Last transfer, my former
companion, Sister Lumanog and my former housemate in Lubao, Sister
Ticson were 'white-washed' into Gua-Gua. It means that both of the
missionaries in the area were pulled out and two new missionaries were
placed. At the end of last transfer, Sister Lumanog went home and I am
now Sister Ticzon's new companion in Gua-Gua. Our mission president
has plans to place another set of Sisters in Gua-Gua and so we are
looking for a larger apartment. It means that at some point, we would
split and each have a new companion. Very exciting.

My first area, Lubao is also in Pampanga and is pretty close to
Gua-Gua. We attended the district Christmas Party in Lubao last
saturday and it was soooo great to see my dear friends in Lubao.
Anyways, I'm excited to improve on my Kapampangan. (This is the
language here in Pampanga.) Everyone speaks Tagalog, but sometimes
kapampangan gets mixed in with their tagalog, which makes everything
really interesting.ha.

My Kapampangan vocabulary so far... not really much of a vocabulary...

keni-here
manyaman--delicious
malagu--beautiful (girl)
Nanu lagyu mo? -- What is your name?
magkanta Tamu--Let's sing

I had an interesting experience on Thursday during a lesson. We were
teaching a less-active member who recently separated from her husband.
It's been an extremely difficult situation for her entire family.

I normally don't share personal things about my family or about the
history of my family, but I felt very impressed to share the story of
my parents' divorce without telling her that it was MY family. I
didn't give specific details, but mostly shared about the effect
afterwards and HOW they handled that situation in a constructive way.
I shared this story but left out their names or who they were. I don't
know if I'll ever forget her eyes widening as I told her that the
story was the story of my family, of my parents who experienced
divorce. At the very least, I could empathize in part with her
suffering and give her some hope for a better future with her family.

It was such a learning experience for me. I've never told the story of
my family in that kind of a way. It was like it was almost laid out in
my head about how I share this with her. This scripture became more
real to me through this experience--

D&C 50:22
Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one
another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

We'll have a baptism on Christmas! I am so excited for this. We also
have another baptism on December 29. This particular family isn't
married yet and will be getting married the morning of the 29th. This
is my first experience like this on my mission, so I am very very
excited for the upcoming weeks.

Thank you for your support and love!
Love, Sister DV

Picture-Transfer Day in the Philippines

Exodus 2- are you feeling strange?
1 Cor 1:27

PS. I received a package from the Holland Ward which was so so great.
I especially enjoyed the drawings and letters from the primary. :)


fantastic.