03 December 2012

"Binasa ko iyan! Binasa ko iyan!"

This week was incredible, full of interesting experiences and miracles.

We had a companion exchange and I was able to work in Orani, Bataan
for a day with Sister Pavino. ( We were former housemates in Lubao.) I
had such an interesting experience that I would just love to tell you
all about. As we were about to begin teaching to a less-active member
there in Orani, a man named Antonio walked up and starting talking to
us. He asked us about our work and then the conversation started to
turn. He mentioned a 'dwarf' that he had in his wallet. Sister Pavino
asked if we could see it. He pulled it out and showed us his 'dwarf'
which was a small piece of "gold" in the shape of a small man. It
looked like some expensive souvenir, but he claims that he got this
'dwarf' in the mountains. I asked him where he bought it and he told
me that he didn't buy it, but that it walked up to him. He said that
this dwarf was the 'queen' of the other dwarfs, despite it looking
very much like a man. He informed me in the past that there was an
american sister missionary who was assigned in Orani. This particular
missionary had problems sleeping and he 'remedied' her insomnia
through his 'dwarf.' He then gave me a prized opportunity to see how
he 'remedied' this missionary. He took my arms and rubbed this 'dwarf'
several times on both of my arms and told me that I 'wouldn't have
insomnia anymore.' I couldn't help but laugh at all of this. Before I
realized what he was doing, he was rubbing this small piece of gold on
my arms, 'remedying' a problem that I don't have. Anyways, Antonio
finally left us and we started teaching. But, during our lesson, a
drunk man who's name I forgot, walked up to us and started speaking
broken english to us. He told us that he read the Book of Mormon
before and that he knows that it's true. He kept repeating himself and
at the same time worked himself into a sort of karate stance with his
arms and legs. I wasn't sure where he was going with all of this, and
he also started to cry at one point. Sister Pavino handled the
situation very smoothly and just set a return appointment with this
drunk man. He finally left and we were able to finish our lesson. :)

In addition to that cherished experience, we had such an exciting
week.Sister Alazo and I come home most days just completely in awe at
the kinds of miracles we are seeing. Our attendance at church is
continuing to grow. We found many less-active members and in turn,
have found many new people that have become investigators-people that
are interested in learning.

It's incredible. I'm dreading thinking about leaving this area and
starting all over again somewhere else. I feel like my 6 months here
has brought me to this point where the work is progressing at an
incredible rate. I find working so much more enjoyable, the longer I
am in an area. I used to think the opposite would be true, and maybe
is for many missionaries, but I'm seeing that there is a reason why I
am still here. I'm so grateful for this glorious blessing that God has
given me to be a small small part of this divine work.

I wrote in my planner- "The most exhausting and life-giving work I
have ever experienced. I'm basking in the light." It's come to the
point that I don't like Mondays, our preparation day, because we only
have a few hours in the evening to go out and work.

We had an investigator yesterday who set his own baptismal date for
December 22. We were completely surprised. Before, he wanted to be
baptized in January. I guess he realized yesterday that he was readier
than he thought he was and set December 22 as his baptismal date.
Incredible. His mother, Luisa was a less-active member who is starting
to return to activity again in the church. I'm truly in awe at the
kinds of small changes we are seeing in people.

"Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say
unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to
pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise." -Alma
37:6

I love you all. I mean it.


Pictures:
Crossing the river in Ala-uli, Pilar ( Every Saturday we go to this area.)


Margie's baptism!
 I took a seat in this hammock and was surprised to find my head rubbed
up against a small fat child. I didn't know he was there.
 THE best cat.
 Yellow watermelon.