02 April 2012

<>

One time when I was talking to a woman who has a small shop, I gave her a pamphlet, but had a mix up with my Tagalog.
 
I meant to say, "Gusto po namin iwan eto para sa inyo po."(We'd like to leave this for you.)
But I actually told her, "Gusto po namin iwasan eto para sa inyo po."  ( We'd like to avoid this, to you.)
 
I was pretty far off, but I'm hoping she didn't hear me completely...
 
Anyways, this week Sister T and I did some exploring and we found out that there is a small island called, 'Lambiki' that is only accessible by boat. There's around 300 houses there. We unfortunately can't travel by boat as missionaries, but it definitely made me curious about the people there.
 
We attended a funeral service on Friday at which Sister T and I were invited to speak. I was very intimidated, but it was also another new experiences for me. Filipino funerals are pretty interesting. It's the second funeral I've attended and it's much more intimate than any other American funeral I've been to. The body/casket is just inside the home, with a glass plate covering the body. A ton of people are packed in there with a lot of loud crying. I could almost feel the love they had for their deceased sister.
 
The idea of 'family' has kind of sunk into my thoughts this week, especially at that funeral that we were able to attend.
I was thinking about my legacy that will be left here on Earth in 200 years. The idea that my artwork will still be looked at in 200 years is a lofty and probably unreachablewish. What about my eperiences, my ideas, my knowledge, my physical traits? Through generations after me, these things can continue to exist. I hope this makes sense...
 
My respect for the idea of 'family' has deepened incredibly. I've had several friends talk about they don't want to bring children into a world like ours, with the problems that we have. But, I realized that without the opportunity to procreate and to start new, there's not much hope for any sort of positive future.
 
SHOUTOUT to my Mom and Dad: Thank you for life!
 
 
(.) (.)
   >
 -__-