10 September 2012

I ate dog.

On Saturday evening, we had the choice opportunity to eat cow...maybe.

baka= cow in Tagalog. 'baka' also means 'maybe.' Depending on the intonation.

My companion told me after we had returned home that I ate dog. It was
actually really delicious. I just wish that I would've known
beforehand what it was. I mostly just had images of 'Mindy' my
childhood dog, running through my head, and actually felt a little
guilty.

I still haven't tried snake, rat, dragon, or bat. But, don't you all
worry about me, I still have 6 months before I get home to try all of
these interesting foods.

Yesterday we were walking in a neighborhood called, "Kapampangan,"
which is named after the language in Pampanga, (my last area was in
Pampanga) and was pleasantly greeted with two skinned dogs hanging by
their feet in the middle of the road. It was a timely moment when
seconds later we heard the song on someone's radio that goes something
like, "How much is that puppy in the window? I hope that dog is for
sale..." (Why was that song playing at that moment??)

I've had the lovely opportunity to increase my empathy for those
afflicted with sickness. I've had lice for a few months now, and have
removed a total of 240+ knits from my head in that time period. I've
also had rashes on my backside ever since I've been in Lubao. I had a
boil on my leg a few months ago, and now I have ring worm on my arm,
which is a sort of fungus I'm told. So life has been really
interesting.

We have a baptism next friday night for Anna! She is great. We have 5
more baptisms the week after, but I'm thinking that I'll probably get
transferred and won't be there.

byebyebyebye.


Luke 9:62 - Not looking back. I'm trying to do this. Sometimes I'm successful.