11 December 2011

Naramdaman masarap

Hi family,

I am happy and well. Tagalog is coming along, and I'm continually understanding more and more. Speaking comes slower, but the understanding is coming. 
Last week I think I said that Lubao is south of Olongapo, but it's actually east. 

The weather has been pretty nice. We carry around our umbrellas everywhere we go to either block sunlight or to block rain. 

I really enjoy teaching. I'm not a very good teacher. I have a tendency in conversation, to want to explain everything at once. It's been interesting to learn how to ask better questions so that people can teach themselves. It definitely requires a conscious effort to ask thought provoking questions. I forget that I learned the things that I've learned, over 21 years and I couldn't possibly explain everything at once, despite the desire to. 

Back home, I felt like sitting down and talking with someone was one of the most fulfilling things to do. I still feel that way. Yesterday we were visiting a family, and the father described how he felt when he read the Book of Mormon. "Naramdaman masarap." I can definitely relate to him having that "delicious feeling" when reading. I am understanding more and more why it is so important to study, in a personal kind of way-to have that time alone. It's been really great for me. 

I've already seen small small miracles in people's live. People are progressing that we didn't expect to progress. Djorn, a 14 year old, lives with his sister's family because his parents died. He can't go to school because he watches his nephew all day. (There is a lot to his story.) His nephew would cry whenever we would come over, so our time was really limited with him, like if his sister was home to watch the baby. We couldn't teach with whenever he had to watch the baby. Now, the baby likes us and shakes our hands. I was so shocked at the change from being terrified of us to wanting to see us. Anyways, we are able to visit Djorn much more frequently because of this change and he's making progression.

I feel like I've seen some of the most random things, here in the Philippines. (Corpse-I do mean 'random.') 

"Why are you white?" -A little girl asked me that the other day when Sister T and I were trying to find a house. Every time we go in that neighborhood, we'll get a small group of little girls that follow us around and ask us questions. I told her that I was born white. ha. 

I dislike being stared at so much, but that was life in Ecuador as well. I was feeling frustrated about it when my companion and I walked past a house of kids doing a choreographed dance to lady gaga outside on their porch. One of the kids yelled all in one sentence, "Hihowareyoui'mfinethankyou."  so so great. People like to practice their English with us. 

The other day I shook hands with a man that had 6 fingers. I thought something felt weird, but didn't realize it until later. I also realized that the sixth finger had nail polish-only the sixth. 

The Philippines are beautiful despite the trash everywhere. It's funny that in America, we have established rules and guidelines for everything. Here, it feels like there's not very many. Most people don't even have addresses. They'll live in 'puroks' or small neighborhoods. We just ask neighbors where someone lives if we don't know. We also don't knock on doors. We yell, 'Tao po!' outside of the house or outside of the fence. 

It is hard to see how poor some people are. We taught a woman and her children and father, and they didn't seem to have a bathroom. We sat on stools in her cement home. Some people don't even have cement. They'll make walls out of plants or whatever they can use.

Mom would be happy to know that we clean all of our own clothes. There are no washing machines where we live, so we spend 3-4 hours on P-day washing our clothes. Hopefully I will get faster!

We don't have a microwave or an oven in our kitchen, so everything is made on the stove. We have a fridge, in which we put EVERYTHING that we don't want ants to get into, even our toothbrushes, cereal, etc.

1 Nephi 2:14-15-- Verse 15 is so so great, but only because of what is in 14. Lehi was a man of power, but void of an earthly prestige. It reminds me of Christ when we says that He will give peace, "but not as the world giveth." That is something to ponder. 

2 Nephi 2: 13,16-- Interesting, as well.

Okayokayokay. I'm done. Love you all. Maybe I'll send some pictures next week.

P.S. If you want to send 'Dear Elders,' I think it is free. If it's not, just send an email, but getting letters through 'DearElder' is nice.

P.P.S.Corpse- I got your 2 DearElders at once. Letter coming your way!